Do you believe that someone can think themselves into financial failure? I do! Have you ever been around someone who was always talking about how broke they are? You know the, “negative Nellies”, or that obnoxious co-worker who’s always telling you how they’re living paycheck to paycheck and can’t get ahead? Do you ever wonder if that negativity is contributing to their bad financial situation? Here are a few examples of what I mean:
- Dwellers- You went bankrupt 5 years ago and you’re still dwelling/focused on being broke.
- Negative Self-talkers- “I’m broke”, “I’m poor”, “We’ll never get out of debt”, “we’ll always be lower class”
- Present Thinkers- Have you heard that saying “dress for the job you want, not the job you have?” Focusers are fixated on where their finances are now, cannot see or think about their financial future.
- “Brokeass” Competitors- “You think that’s bad? I have $125k in student loan debt”. or “At least you have $50 until next paycheck, I have $20”.
- “No sense-ers”- “There’s no sense is saving for retirement because I’ll never be able to save enough”. “There’s no sense in saving for college because I’ll probably never go back”
Have you met people who think themselves into financial failure? How do you keep yourself from having negative thoughts about your financial situation?