So last Tuesday I turned 30. I’m not sure exactly what you’re supposed to do when you turn 30, or how your life is supposed to change? For some reason, 30 seems like a milestone that should be marked by some sort of massive life change. Just google “turning 30″ and you’ll find a host of articles and posts written by panicked 29 year-olds.
I thought it would be interesting to reflect a little on the past 12 years of my life. So much has changed and it’s funny to look at how my interests and attitudes have changed. Hopefully my friends and family can attest to the fact that I’ve now a more mature, well-rounded and educated (life-not books) young woman. Are you still a young woman when you turn 30? Ekk maybe I’m a full-fledged woman now?
At Age 18:
- I moved 7 hours away from home (Maine) to attend college
- I wanted to explore the world
- I had a boyfriend I believed I would marry
- I imagined by age 30 I’d be married with at least one child
- I’d never eaten sushi or buffalo wings
- I hated beer, detested wine, and only drank fruity mixed drinks
- I’d never traveled outside of the US (well Canada only)
- I had no debt, no savings (all my savings went to my first semester of college) & no retirement
- I moved from Boston to NYC to attend graduate school
- I’d done a little more “exploring of the world”, well at least the US
- I had a boyfriend I knew I wouldn’t marry & I was OK with that
- I thought I might be married by 30, but definitely wouldn’t have a baby by then
- Sushi and Buffalo wings-check check plus many other “exotic” foods
- I loved wine, liked beer and could drink fruity mixed drinks
- I’d traveled to 3 Countries outside of the US (4 including Canada)
- I had $30k in student debt, no savings & no retirement
- I’m still in the NYC area
- There’s so much of the world I still
wantneed to explore
- I have the boyfriend, that I know I want to marry
- I’m OK with getting married and having kids when the time is “right”, but I’m not in a rush
- I’ve been to “fancy”, expensive and even “famous” restaurants
- I love craft beers & have learned to enjoy good wine
Iwe own our first condo-with a mortgage we’re aggressively paying on
- All of my student debt is paid in full, I have $12k in savings & $3k in retirement
- I have a professional job, a professional license and 4 full-time staff
For the most part I feel really good about where I am in my life right now and the things I’ve accomplished and achieved. I have a a wonderful family, fabulous friends, and a boyfriend I love very much. We have an adorable home together and 3 “fur-babies” that mean the world to us. Admittedly, If I hadn’t taken out 30K in student loans I’d certainly have more savings and more money in retirement, but live and learn, right? I’m almost eligible to sit for my second professional license and hope to pass the test and get a raise this year (see my goals for 2013 here). I’m also hoping with my additional license I’ll be able to begin thinking about different career options.
Where were you in your life at age 30? Were you pleased with what you’d accomplished? Suggestions on where to go from here?
Image: Dan Morelle